Erik finally spoke to the, apparently overworked, woman at the immigration consulting company. He had to call her as she did not reply to emails. Anyway, she said the FBI has indeed been taking 8 weeks to get criminal records checks done. And that after we submit the NZ visa application, NZ should be able to approve us in 2-3 weeks. It is SO frustrating to be at the mercy of the Federal Government. I pray they don't have a budget crisis and shut down operations.
The Feds did do something for us though. We got my passport today. So, that's done. We have 5 passports ready to send to the NZ government for visas.
Meanwhile, we have been paring down our possessions. Lucky for us, we own a baby and kids consignment store! I've been taking in bags and bags of toys the kids never play with and baby equipment Maggie is growing out of. Also, I've been cleaning out the kitchen. Every appliance that plugs in has to go -- eventually. For now I'm taking the nicer stuff to a kitchen consignment store in town and making boxes of stuff for the huge yard sale we're going to have.
Erik has sold his entire Star Wars collection - more or less (several giant space ships to go and it seems the Darth Vader cookie jar has to stay). We have also taken all our DVD's and vinyl records (remember those things?) to a second hand record store. Next is the turntable and stereo equipment from the bedroom. He also scored several hundred dollars (yes, I wrote hundred) for his enormous Lego collection (which was mostly off limits to the kids) that he only just recently acquired.
Both of us have found it a relief to get rid of things and also a bit wrenching at times. At first glance around the kitchen I didn't know how I would live without things and I'm sure that selling the Star Wars collection was really hard for Erik to do.
Erik has also gotten rid of some metal items. Namely his braces! They came off this morning and what an amazing smile he has now! I was so used to seeing the braces, it was a shock to see teeth again. Such a handsome guy and even more now! :)
Next:
- Trips to the doctor for our physicals, x-rays, and blood work
- Wait for FBI background check
No comments:
Post a Comment