28 February, 2013

Other things that we've been up to

A day off in Hanmer Springs


Early in December I went to Hanmer Springs, a natural hot springs spa, with my friends Molly, Emma, and Jenny. We drove up in the morning and stayed until nearly dark (which is late here because it's Summer!). It was a great day without the kids and so nice to visit uninterrupted by wee ones. We had terrific weather for it and I was worn out from all the fun when I got home. :)
Molly and Jenny

Emma and I

Having some bubbly and admiring the menu.
Fun with underwater cameras!

Christmas

Christmas was just plain odd. In Phoenix it's warm at Christmas by traditional standards. No snow, not even frost, usually sunny without a cloud in the sky. After years of this, I started to get used to it because it was "cold" relative to Summertime when it's very, very hot in Phoenix. Here, however, it's been cold all winter and spring isn't my idea of "warm" and then it starts to get warm enough to wear capri pants and short sleeves and suddenly school's out for summer AND you're shopping for Christmas presents. SOOOO weird. Surreal even. I wanted to have a real tree like last year but it took me 2 weeks to find a place selling them. No kidding. They are very unpopular here. But for $20 I got a 6 foot tree from a gas station. They had 5 to choose from leaning up against a wall. I wasn't terribly hopefull but it was actually the freshest tree I've ever had, except for the ones my Dad cut down himself (picture the scene from Christmas Vacation).
Maggie in her sleeveless Christmas "frock"

Rudolph stopped by. Wait! That's Caty.

But decorating with the windows and doors open and the rose bushes and cherry trees in full bloom in the yard was weird. All the same, we went through the motions in hopes of getting in the spirit. It was kind of a bummer for Ben and Maggie that all our Christmas books show snow-covered scenes and fireplaces. We will have to get some new NZ and OZ ones for next year. Since it's a tradition to make Pillsbury cinnamon roles on Christmas morning and they don't have instant anything here, I made them from scratch. Although it had to be done a day in advance, it was very tasty! :)



The kids had a blast opening presents on Christmas morning. No amount of warm weather can dampen the excitement of Christmas morning for a kid. And this year Maggie "got it" about Santa bringing presents. In fact just this morning she was making a verbal list of things she wants from Santa next year. I don't think she realizes how long from now that will be tho!


Erik's birthday

Poor Erik. His birthday is right after New Years and everyone forgets him. But we tried to make it special with a gourmet mud cake, homemade cards, and a new biking jersey. 

Someone is always willing to help an adult out with candle blowing.


Did I mention the cake was pretty good?

For the ride to work.


Cate's trip to Livingsprings Summer Camp

Despite the chaos of the Summer, we did get Caty to camp. I think this was her fourth trip there since we moved here! It's a week every school holiday (school is 10 weeks, then two weeks off, then 10 weeks on, 2 weeks off... For 4 terms then 6 weeks for Summer vaca.) Camp is held for one week every school holiday. It's this amazing place above Governor's Bay with crazy-beautiful views. Just gorgeous. And lots of the kids go every time so now she has friends she sees every time she goes to camp and chooses her roommates and counselors (although I've been scolded because they are called something else here - can't remember what). After her week of independence, I picked her up and we checked out a restaurant that specializes in chocolate of all kinds. They have a bar too but had never heard of a chocolate martini!!! Oh the humanity! Anyway, I couldn't have had one as the road is as winding and steep as it could be with out being a slalom course!

 Catherine ordered and chose well! 
Eating the chocolate spoon on the patio.
View of the bay from the patio.
Caty outside the restaurant with our doggie bag.



No comments:

Post a Comment