19 April, 2012

Castle Hill

A while back we drove west to the middle of the South Island to Arthur's Pass. On the way there, we stopped at Castle Hill for a short hike. It was gorgeous! Beautiful! Honestly, it was difficult to take in all the beauty. Sounds corny, but it's true. It was just breathtaking!
















After all that, we stopped at a roadside pub and hotel. Although I should mention that it was more like THE roadside pub and hotel. We hadn't passed a town, gas station, pub, or any civilization for more than an hour. Nor had we any cell service. We were starting to think we would have to drive to the other side of the island to get some lunch. (We have since learned that Kiwis hardly ever eat out and when we go on day trips, we generally pack all that we will want to eat and drink for the day.)


Ben had fun playing on the steps down to the cabins and there was a playground too. Near the playground, a sheep was tied up on a very long rope. He was munching away at the grass but Ben needed to "check him out" and went over to see him. Ben got really close a couple times but would squeal with delight and finally the sheep head-butted him in the stomach and knocked Ben on his bottom! Erik and I roared with laughter and the sheep just went back to eating. Ben was freaked out but this but after a minute of thinking about it, decided maybe it was a fun game and proceeded to go over to the sheep and get head-butted a few more times before Erik and I felt bad for the sheep and put a stop to it. I'm not sure what sheep-etiquette is when the sheep is actually a lawn mower for the playground... ?


Above was the view from the playground. Not too shabby. But I have no idea what people would do if they stayed at the hotel. There wasn't anything happening around there. Just sit at the pub and drink beer and look at the view I guess.
Below are photos Erik took as we drove home. Driving outside of town is quite an experience. The speed limit is 100 km/hr (62 mi/hr) which sounds slow for wilderness driving in the States. Oh no, not here! It's way too fast. There are no Interstate-like roads at all on the entire South Island for sure, and maybe not any up north either. So, the roads that connect towns are more narrow than your average suburban street in the States with no shoulders and wind back and forth over the hills instead of going directly through them. And they are really steep! Roads here make that windy part of I-17 south of Flagstaff seem positively straight! But this does not slow down a Kiwi driver, whose nerves are made of steel. They whizz up, down, and around the roads at speeds above 100 km/hr while I am pushing it to get the car to 80 km/hr (49 mi/hr). And then there will be a few hairpin turns followed by a single lane bridge! Can you believe it?! Single lane bridges?! Plural. I can't even remember how many there were. And long ones too. But we did survive.
I drive everywhere, otherwise I get horribly car sick, even in the front seat. So Erik got to lean out the window and take some really great photos for us.





Mags and Ben just couldn't stay awake all day. Too many exciting adventures to dream about. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment